Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Gift of the Holy Spirit



A lot of Christians are sitting on the greatest gift of all time and don’t know it. It is the gift of the Holy Spirit. Peter, one of Jesus’ followers, said to a huge group of unbelievers, "Each of you must repent of your sins and turn to God, and be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins. Then you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit” (Acts 2:38). Do you ever feel like being a Christian is hard or like you just can’t do it? That’s a sign that you are missing out on the full benefits of Holy Spirit.

I was just like that when I first became a Christian. I thought that I had to do all of these good things to please God; the problem is I couldn’t find the strength to do them! Then someone told me that the Holy Spirit gives you the power to do the things God wants you to do. After praying for God to fill me with His Spirit, my whole life changed. Suddenly I wanted to read the Bible; wanted to pray; and wanted to tell people about Jesus. I felt connected to God in a whole new way.

I was just like that when I first became a Christian. I thought that I had to do all of these good things to please God; the problem is I couldn’t find the strength to do them! Then someone told me that the Holy Spirit gives you the power to do the things God wants you to do. After praying for God to fill me with His Spirit, my whole life changed. Suddenly I wanted to read the Bible; wanted to pray; and wanted to tell people about Jesus. I felt connected to God in a whole new way.

Have you ever seen an old, dried up piece of leather? Once you put a few drops of oil on it, the leather becomes supple and beautiful again. That’s a picture of what the Holy Spirit does for you as a Christian. Read this verse slowly and insert your name in it: “To ­­­­________ who mourn in Israel, He will give a crown of beauty for ashes, a joyous blessing instead of mourning, festive praise instead of despair. In their righteousness, _________ will be like great oaks that the LORD has planted for his own glory” (Isaiah 61:3). This is what God wants to do for your life through filling you with His Spirit. He wants to take the dried up, old things of your past and replace them with beautiful, healthy things of His Spirit, like love, joy, and peace.

You just need to ask Him. Jesus said, “How much more will your Heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to those that ask Him!” (Luke 11:13). Jesus wouldn’t have said that if He didn’t mean it. Take a minute right now and ask God to fill you with His Spirit. Ask Him to make you the Christian He wants you to be. You will never regret being filled with His Spirit. It’s the greatest gift of all time.

So this week, let us pray that:
  • God will fill us with His Spirit
  • We will experience the fruit of the Spirit in our lives
  • God will pour out the Holy Spirit on all the staff and volunteers at Global Media Outreach
THANK YOU so much for your prayers. If we can pray for you, just hit “reply” to this email and let us know your prayer requests. God loves you!

No comments:

Post a Comment